Tuesday, September 25, 2012

More Photos from Lotoja

We would not have been involved in the Lotoja race had Brent Mortensen not invited Alicia and me to participate. Here are Brent, Kelly, Alex, Margaret, and Kelly's friend and her daughter.  This is at a grocery store parking lot in Afton, Wy, just after Alicia took over the ride from Alex.
 Alicia, en route from Afton to Alpine, Wy.
 This gives you a feel for the openness of this stretch.
 Alicia, after her Star Valley, Wy leg of the 206 mile race.
In addition to my Preston to Montpelier, ID leg,  I also rode the first 21 miles or so of the Alpine to Jackson segment.  I was able to hook into a pretty fast paced peloton on this section.  It's standard to rotate who rides in front in order to let everyone get a rest.  This was one of my times at the front of the pack, where you have to work a lot harder.
 I'm fourth in this shot of the peloton.
 I've just rolled to a stop so Brent can finish the race.
 Meanwhile, the mountains south of Jackson were going up in flames.  When the pines caught fire, the smoke was particularly thick and dark.
 The flames came right down to structures, and there were helicopters doing water drops onto the fire.
 Here's Brent wrapping up the ride as he terminates it at the Teton Village.
 Just a shot of the finish line.  It says 206 miles, 3 states, 1 day.
 Three of the riders.  Just FYI - There are far more individual riders who do the whole 206 miles than relay teams.
 I was able to replenish some calories at Merry Piglets, a Mexican restaurant in Jackson Hole, with the Mortensens.  But I didn't have a change of clothing in the support vehicle so I ate in my riding outfit.
We enjoyed the brief stay at the Mortensens' Star Valley cabin.

No comments: